REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Southern Tandem Rally 2014
Meet us in Columbus, Georgia…..Lets explore the city together.
In 2014, the Southern Tandem Rally in its 37th year (yes…..a 37 year tradition!) will return to Georgia after 14 years. The 2014 Rally will be held in the antebellum river front community of Columbus, Georgia.
Just The Facts
Southern Tandem Rally dates: October 24-26, 2014
(packet pick-up desk will be open beginning the afternoon of Thursday, October 23)
Your hosts: On behalf of Peaches Tandem Club,
Jose and Sherry Rodriguez, Ron and Shari Scheiblauer
Here are reasons why you won’t want to miss Columbus and a little preview of what we have planned. Registration opens April 15th. Check this web site often and/or join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/southerntandemrally for the latest updates.
This year’s rally will be a ‘park it and forget it’ ride. Drive your vehicle to the host hotel, park it in the hotel parking lot and leave it all weekend. All off-tandem activities are within walking distance.
- Explore 15 miles of the beautiful Chattahoochee RiverWalk where city scapes blend with untouched natural surroundings that team with wildlife. Columbus has 26 miles of connected bikeable trails that include the RiverWalk and the Fall Line Trace.
- Come early or stay over and raft or kayak 2.5 miles on the longest urban whitewater course in the world. USA Today has published a feature listing “12 of the greatest man-made adventures on the planet,” and listed Columbus’ own urban whitewater course as the world’s No. 1 man-made whitewater attraction. Read more HERE
- Fort Benning, Georgia is home to the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center. Friday’s rides will take us past the museum and onto the base where parts of the 2002 film “We Were Soldiers” was filmed.
- Take the walking tour of Heritage Corner, Georgia’s largest 26 block historic district. Walk the ancient oak lined cobblestone streets and view century old homes, including the home of Dr. John Pemberton. Dr. Pemberton’s French wine d’coca later became Coca-Cola.
- Columbus is home to Columbus State University’s Coca Cola Space Science Museum with interactive exhibits and planetarium.
The Line Up
We will host mostly flat and gently rolling rides on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday visiting nearby villages and rural communities. Roads in the area are gentler than many in other parts of the south and should please all levels of cyclists (particularly those from flatter states).
Friday’s rides will take us to Fort Benning. We will host an AM and PM ride on Friday so those arriving Friday morning may ride later.
Friday’s social reception will put you in the heart of the historic city and feature local entertainment. Dinner afterward is on your own in one of many restaurants within walking distance.
Saturday’s ride will feature several options of ride lengths in Columbus and surrounding areas with a delicious lunch near the end.
Saturday’s banquet will be at the historic Columbus Convention and Trade Center, a century old manufacturing complex, Columbus Iron Works- 1853, that produced the materials to build the historic mill town of Columbus.
Sunday’s rides will take you to other surrounding areas sure to please!
We have a lineup of local talent and great food, all just outside your hotel door.
Here’s a little video to whet your appetite:
For those who want to spend more time in the area before or after the rally or who want to bridge the time between the Southern Tandem Rally and the Florida Tandem Rally in The Villages, there are plenty of significant destinations in the area. Below are just a few:
Visit the National Civil War Naval Museum at Port Columbus.
Just south of Columbus and Phoenix City Alabama is Fort Mitchell, a stockade fort built in 1813 along the Federal Road that was an important post in the Creek Indian War.
Visit Andersonville National Historic Site, site of the confederate military prison.
Visit world-renowned Callaway Gardens and visit the butterflies in North America’s largest glass enclosed tropical conservatory.
Visit Warm Springs Georgia and tour The Little White House, the only home President Franklin D. Roosevelt ever owned.
Visit Plains, Georgia – home of President Jimmy Carter.
Explore and hike Providence Canyon State Park.
Explore the 1850’s Village of Westville. This living history village has 33 antebellum structures with basket weaving, candle making, cane grinding and other demonstrations.
October 24-26, 2014